15 Reasons ParaNorman is Seriously Underrated
Ever since ParaNorman premiered in 2012, we’ve been completely dazzled by the town of Blithe Hollow and the adorkable Norman Babcock. It’s not the most popular Halloween/spooky movie, but it’s certainly one of the most charming. Every year we spend so much of our time trying to convince anyone who will listen to give this movie a chance, because it’s the perfect mix of spooky, funny, and heartfelt. (Hence why we’re writing this post. Hopefully the whole internet will read it and ParaNorman will become a huge sensation!)
There’s a little bit of Norman Babcock in all of us, which is what makes this movie so appealing. Sure, he can talk to the dead and has to save his town from zombies and a witches curse – but he’s just an ordinary kid who wants to be taken seriously.
15 Reasons ParaNorman is Seriously Underrated:
1. Norman Babcock is the most precious movie child to ever exist.
He’s sweet and polite. Shy, yet brave. Knows who he is and isn’t afraid to admit it. Sure, he’s a bit of a misunderstood misfit, but that’s what makes him great. Plus, he can talk to ghosts which is super cool.
2. Seriously, though. How can you not completely adore this kid? Rawrrr!
3. Norman shows us all a thing or two about how to handle bullies with grace.
4. There’s a bunch of classic horror movie references and laugh out loud moments.
5. It’s only a little bit spooky, so if you’re not really into scary movies, it’s not going to give you nightmares for weeks. It’s actually got a similar vibe to Gravity Falls, if you’re into that sorta thing.
6. It teaches us that friendships can be found in even the most unlikely places, and not to judge people without getting to know them.
7. It’s a fun, quirky adventure from start to finish, and it’s full of mystery, thrills, and even some tear-jerky moments.
8. It teaches us that just because things are scary sometimes doesn’t mean we should run and hide. You should always face your fears and fight for what you believe in.
9. Norman does everything he can to protect his family, even though he sometimes feels ignored and misunderstood.
10. He’s way deep in the horror fandom and not afraid to let the world know it. (We always appreciate a good fanboy/fangirl!) His room is floor to ceiling horror posters and toys. He even has zombie slippers!
11. There’s lots of wise little tidbits and advice like this.
12. …and this.
13. The movie uses stop motion animation as well as 3D printed models, making it feel really whimsical and authentic.
14. It shows us that we all just really want to be loved, heard, and understood. It doesn’t matter who listens, just as long as someone does.
15. Despite the fact that it wasn’t a huge smash hit, it’s beloved by it’s fans and has become a bit of a cult classic. It’s a modern gem while also embracing some of the greatest bits of movies from other eras. We think Norman would appreciate that.
If you’ve never seen ParaNorman, we hope we’ve convinced you to give it a chance. If you’ve already seen it – what are you waiting for?! Go watch it again!